Please do not book a Hotel or contact the Civil Registrar before contacting the church.


Go to the church in which you wish to be married and check to see if the date you want to have your marriage on, is available. This does not constitute a solid booking with the church. You should also check to see if there is a priest available to do the ceremony if you don't already have a priest. If you are inviting a priest who is a relative or friend he must be on the list of Solemnisers. Ask your local church about this.


You must now make an appointment with the local Civil Registrar. You can now book an appointment online at: 
When you have met with the registrar and done all he/she requires, you will be issued with a "Marriage Registration Form". You need to take this to the church where you wish to be married and show it to the priest who is performing the ceremony.  Please note you must bring this "Marriage Registration Form" with you on the day of the marriage, otherwise the marriage will not be able to go ahead.

Summary of What You Need


For general services provided by the Registrar see:



The Church requires 3 months notice of the marriage, and six months if you are under 21. You must undertake "Marriage Preparation".  This could be a pre-marriage course, or preparation with a priest.

Accord Pre-Marriage Courses


You will need a new Baptismal and Confirmation Certificate which must be within six months of the marriage. Old certificates are not acceptable. When getting your Baptismal Certificate, make it clear you require it for marriage. The date of your confirmation may be in the baptismal records and can be put on the Baptismal Certificate. When this is the case you don't need a separate Confirmation Certificate.

Whatever parish your present "home address" lies in, is the place where you go to have your church papers done. You will need to bring with you, your certificates of Baptism and Confirmation. If you have lived in a number of different places while you were 16 years of age or older, you will need a letter of freedom from each of those places. Alternatively, your parents or a close relative can write a letter declaring that you have never been married civilly or religiously. Bring all of these documents (plus your Marriage Registration Form) with you to the priest of the parish where your present "home address" lies. He will fill out a Pre-Nuptial Enquiry Form and include all the documents you bring with you. In the Dublin Diocese there is strictly no charge for this service.



In the past the responsibility for registering the marriage lay with the church. Since the 5th November 2007, this is no longer the case. You as a couple must go to a Civil Registrar's Office in any part of the country to register the marriage. It is recommended that this should be done within one month of the marriage taking place.



Couples normally make these preparations with the priest who will be the celebrant at their marriage. If he is not resident at the church where the marriage is to take place, you will need to contact the church to arrange things like, flowers, music etc.


Go to your local priest at least six months in advance of the wedding and he will explain Church requirements.


Useful Website

Together for a Lifetime

This website will provide you with details of readings, rite of marriage etc. They also have an app which you can download to your phone



Please note the Church of St. Nicholas of Myra is
never available for Marriage Celebrations between 14 December and 07 January



Before you decide on any "decoration" for the church on the day of your wedding you must consult the parish. Decoration of any kind must comply with Health & Safety regulations.

Office: 01-5157512 9.30am - 12noon,
Outside Office hours: 01-5611390,